Altgeld Riverdale Parenting Program
The Altgeld Riverdale Parenting Program provides doula and home visiting services to expectant mothers age 21 and under in Altgeld Gardens, Concordia Place, Golden Gate Homes, Riverside Village.
What is a Doula? A woman professional trained to provide non-medical support to an expectant mother and her family to enhance her childbirth experience.
What is the role of a Doula? The doula’s role is to support a new mother’s transition to parenthood by providing reliable information and hands-on support.
This program includes weekly or bi-weekly visits to the home and participation in a Prenatal Support Group to educate the family about what to expect during pregnancy as well as labor and delivery.
- Prenatal nutrition
- Comfort measures during labor and delivery (breathing/relaxation)
- Breastfeeding (coaching/support)
- Child bonding and learning
What is a family Support Worker? A professional with extensive training in child development and family strengthening who supports new mothers and their infants in the home.
What is the role of a Family Support Worker?
- Regular in-home visits and new parent group discussions
- Support and problem-solving assistance to mothers and infants
- Fun activities for new moms and their children to do together, helping the baby grow and develop in a nurturing environment
- Help for new moms in balancing their role as parent while working toward personal goals, such as completing high school
- Help for parents scheduling vision, hearing, and developmental screenings for their children
The benefits of this program:
- Provides emotional and physical support during prenatal, labor and delivery, and postpartum periods
- Recognizes that a woman’s childbirth experience is special and works to protect her memories
- Increases mother-baby bonding during prenatal and postpartum periods
- Provides a source of reliable information that enables the mother to make informed decisions
- Facilitates communication between the mother, her family, and care providers
- Supports the emotional needs of a woman
- Helps babies develop physically, mentally, and emotionally
To learn more about the Altgeld-Riverdale Parenting Program please contact: Program Director Shavon Parker at 773.474.7224